Wisconsin Employment and Training Association
WETA Scholarship Information
Thank you for your interest in the WETA Scholarship Awards. WETA has established scholarships to help students achieve their educational and career goals and strongly encourages individuals to apply regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability.
WETA Scholarships include the Harmon Memorial Scholarship, and the Brasch Memorial Scholarship. Dennis Harmon was a dedicated professional who spent most of his work life serving the needs of the poor and unemployed through the development, operation and management of education, employment and training programs in Wisconsin. John Brasch was a founder of WETA and remained an active member until his death. He was deeply committed to working with the disadvantaged as a guidance counselor at North Central Technical College.
Important Points - WETA Scholarship
Here are some important points to keep in mind as you complete the application.
- WETA Scholarships are designed to provide financial assistance to students who plan to attend or are attending an institution of higher education or a training program approved by the Wisconsin Educational Approval Board. A list of the approved private post-secondary training programs can be found at the EAB website at http://eab.state.wi.us/. For other training providers, applicants may need to provide assurance upon request as to the program’s viability. For more information, check with the WETA contact person listed under item 10.
- All information is strictly confidential, and the WETA Scholarship Committee appointed by the WETA Board of Directors will make award selections. Applicants will be selected for scholarship awards on the basis of:
- Economic need
- Personal characteristics
- School and/or community involvement
- Applicant's personal expression of training and career goals
- Academic achievement
- Wisconsin residency
- Two recommendation forms completed by persons who are knowledgeable about the applicant's competencies, interests and experiences.
- One recommendation form must be completed by a WETA member.
- A copy of the current WETA roster is available by contacting the WETA Scholarship Chair through contact information provided
under item #10.
- An applicant cannot be an immediate family member of a WETA Board member or of a WETA Scholarship Committee member. Immediate family member is defined as a parent, spouse, sibling or child.
- Scholarships will be awarded only to those qualifying students who have graduated from High School, received the General Educational Development (GED) diploma or satisfactorily achieved the Wisconsin High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) from the Department of Public Instruction as stated in Chapter P15, Administrative Rule, effective date, July 1, 1988.
- In addition to submitting a completed WETA Scholarship Application Form, students attending an institution of higher education must complete and mail the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Family Financial Statement (FFS) as early as possible after January 1 to the appropriate location. These forms may be obtained through the Guidance Office at any high school or Student Services Office at the local Technical College, UW-College/UW-Center, Private College or Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Office (Eau Claire, Ashland, Milwaukee, Racine, Wausau and Green Bay).
- Application forms are required to be neat, readable and thoroughly complete. Please type or print the information. Do not leave any area blank. For example, if you have not participated in school or community activities, provide a brief explanation.
- The scholarship awards will be presented at the 2008 Wisconsin Employment and Training Association Annual Conference. The scholarship winners will be invited to attend the WETA Banquet as honored guests. Rooms and meals will be available to scholarship winners for that evening , compliments of WETA.
- Students awarded scholarships should plan to use them for the 2008-2009 school year. However, scholarships may be held in abeyance for up to one year with the approval of the WETA Board of Directors. The WETA scholarship is a one time, lifetime award. If you have already been awarded a WETA scholarship in the past, you are not eligible to reapply.
- The Scholarship Award may be utilized at the college, university, or other approved training provider indicated on the WETA Scholarship Application Form. Each applicant who qualifies and receives a scholarship will be notified through written documentation and the check will be sent to the Financial Aid Office of the higher education institution or to the training provider where the applicant is registered. A maximum of two $750 scholarships will be awarded at the 2008 WETA Conference.
- For more information or to obtain a list of WETA members, contact David Skattum at (608) 242-4583 or by e-mail at email@example.com. WETA members are also listed on our website at http://www.wetainc.org/members.htm.
2013 Scholarship Application (.pdf)
2013 Scholarship Application (Word)
Send completed application and two recommendation forms to:
WETA Scholarship Committee
c/o David Skattum
Wisconsin Employment and Training Association Inc.
1213 Sherman Ave., PMB #324
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
The WETA Scholarship Application Form and two Recommendation Forms must be postmarked by by the date shown on the current application.
OWN Scholarship Information
Wisconsin's OWN Employer of the Year Award
The Employer of the Year Award Application is a great way to recognize a business, agency or organization that hires and retains older workers. Host agencies who have hired participants can also receive this award.
Fred Lengfeld Older Workers Scholarship
OWN Scholarship Application (Word version)
OWN Scholarship Application (.pdf version)
The Fred Lengfeld Older Workers Scholarship helps older (55 years of age and older) individuals who are choosing to return to school. Applying for this scholarship helps defray educational costs.
Back to top
Home• About Us• Professional Development• Board News
Contact us: WETA President